Man dies following incident near Durham Station

By Waseem Mohamed

A man has died following an incident in The Viaduct area close to Durham station this morning.

Durham Police confirmed in a statement that “Police were called to reports of an incident on Station Approach in Durham City shortly after 11am today. Emergency services attended the scene but sadly, a man was pronounced dead.

“Formal identification has yet to take place, but his family have been informed. The death is not being treated as suspicious and a report is being prepared for the coroner.”

A North East Ambulance spokesperson also commented, saying “We received a call at 11:08 with concern for a person at the Viaduct on North Road in Durham. 

“We dispatched six ambulance resources including our hazardous area response team, emergency ambulances, a rapid response paramedic and a clinical team leader”.

The incident prompted road closures around Durham station which lasted for several hours, leading to traffic disruption and bus diversions. All roads in the affected area, including North Road and Station Approach have since reopened.

There was also some disruption to rail services passing through Durham station. Lines were closed between Newcastle and Darlington earlier this morning due to a “trespass incident” at Durham, although the disruption was cleared by 1:30pm. It is unclear if the incidents are connected.

Image: Sarah Matthews