Durham University falls outside top 100 in 2022 Impact Rankings

By Waseem Mohamed

Durham University ranked between 101-200th in this year’s Times Higher Education Impact Rankings, falling from 87th in the same in 2021. This is despite Durham’s overall score increasing this year, from 86.9 out of 100 to 87.3 out of 100.

The Impact measure over 1,400 universities worldwide on their progress of achieving the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). This year, the were topped by Western Sydney University in Australia, with two British universities making the top 10 – Newcastle and Manchester.

As well as an overall rank, the Impact assess how well universities are doing in achieving each of the individual 17 SDGs, with a particular focus on SDG17 (Securing partnerships for the goals). Durham’s highest individual score was for partnership for the goals, SDG17, with its score of 97.4/100 placing the University 14th globally.

“A fantastic recognition of how we work with partners locally and globally to achieve more together”

Durham University

Durham also scored well for its work on achieving SDG9 (Industry, Innovation and Finance), SDG11 (Sustainable Cities and Communities) and SDG15 (Life on Land).

Reacting to the results, Durham University said on its website that “We’re proud to say our overall score rose to 87.3 out of 100. On SDG17, Partnership for the Goals, we ranked 14th globally – a fantastic recognition of how we work with partners locally and globally to achieve more together”, such as through the Green Move Out scheme in partnership with students and collaboration with partners across the North East.

The University also said that “We’re also building the SDGs into our education offer, with programmes in climate science, sustainability, energy and development, and environmental geoscience”.

The Impact reflects a mixed trend in terms of Durham’s performance in various university ranking systems this academic year. Durham has risen in this year’s People and Planet rankings and QS World University Rankings, but the University lost places in the Times Higher Education’s World University Rankings at the start of the academic year.

An earlier version of this article stated that Durham placed 121st in the THE 2022 rankings. This was incorrect, as below the top 100 are grouped.

Image Credit –