Durham continues 7-year decline in Times Higher Education world rankings

In the most recent Times Higher Education World University 2022, published on Thursday 2 September, Durham University was ranked joint 162nd, down from 149 in 2021.

This makes 2022 the 7th year in a row Durham has declined in this ranking. The University has not improved its position since it placed 70th in 2016, dropping to joint 96th in 2017, then 97th for 2018, 114th for 2019, 133rd for 2020, 149th for 2021, and finally 162nd this year.

Durham is the 23rd highest UK university in the Times Higher Education rankings, bested by mainstays of the top 100 such as Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, Warwick, Imperial, and Edinburgh, as well as non-Russell Group newcomers such as Lancaster, which placed 122nd, and Aberdeen, placed 158th. Having been placed above North-East competitor Newcastle in 2021, Durham is now 15 places behind them.

This makes Durham the third-lowest ranked Russell Group, beating out Liverpool and Queen’s University Belfast.

Durham has seen better progress in national this year, solidifying its place in the top ten for the UK

Despite this, Durham performed well on the Times Higher Education international inclusion rankings earlier this year, placing 25th, with around 21% of the student body being from non-UK backgrounds. The University also ranked in the Top 50 globally in THE’s Impact Rankings 2020, for its contribution to four of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and in the world Top 100 for a further seven SDGs.

These results make for a mixed year of placements for Durham, with strong performances in alternative international rankings, such as the QS World University Rankings, where Durham rose from 86th to 82nd, and the Times Global Impact rankings, where they placed 87th. Durham was also ranked 61st for International Outlook by the Times.

Professor Antony Long, the Interim Vice-Chancellor of Durham University, was optimistic, telling Palatinate: “The most respected international consistently show that Durham is a world-leading and world-changing university. Our academics are tackling some of the major challenges facing society today, our students enjoy transformative, research-led teaching and a superb wider student experience and our graduates enjoy inspiring careers across a wide range of fields.

“We are proud to have improved our standing in the QS World University Rankings, Times Higher Education Global Impact and the Complete University Guide this year and we are confident that the long-term changes we are making to the direction of the University will ensure continued success in the years ahead.”

Durham has seen encouraging progress in national this year, solidifying its place in the top ten in the Complete University Guide by beating out Loughborough, Warwick, and UCL for 6th place, and moving up to 4th in the Guardian rankings.

Image: Durham University

Donate to Palatinate Banner

One thought on “Durham continues 7-year decline in Times Higher Education world rankings

• Its not surprising when you look at the strategy of continual poor academics employed, no respect for technical staff and racism bullying and sexism rife. When a departmental head of edi tells a staff member who is struggling to commit suicide you know there are issues