Breaking: Durham City Centre streets flooded

Fire vehicles responded to flooding in Durham City Centre caused by a burst water pipe underground on Palace Green at around 3:30 this afternoon.

Owengate (Palace Green), North Bailey and Saddler Street were inundated with fast-flowing water during the incident. Video footage also shows a large quantity of water overflowing from Kingsgate Bridge and Elvet Bridge.

Video: Lucy Cook Allen

Northumbrian Water confirmed that a burst on a six-inch water main just outside of the police office on Palace Green caused the floods.

A witness on the scene stated that an area of pavement on Palace Green had been broken by the burst pipe and that emergency services had opened water mains to relieve water pressure.

The city centre remains open to pedestrians and traffic. There have been no road closures, but a small section of footpath has been closed in Palace Green. Repair work is expected to be completed by 10pm tonight.

A spokesperson for Northumbrian Water told Palatinate, “We dispatched a team of technicians to the site immediately, where they isolated the burst and are currently working hard on carrying out a repair.

Northumbria Water apologised for any inconvenience caused and said “a very small number of customers may currently be experiencing either low pressure or no water, but our teams are all doing all they can to resolve this as quickly as possible”.

Durham Fire and Rescue service have also been contacted for comment.

Video:
Video:

Image Credit: Adeline Zhao