Durham students flee Russia and Ukraine

Eight Durham students have now returned home from their year abroad in Russia after the University instructed them to leave.

The decision came hours before the Foreign Office advised against all travel to the country. Meanwhile, one Durham student who returned home to Kyiv for a visa application was told Russian soldiers are “right behind you” as she escaped Ukraine, surrounded by shelling.

Durham students from Russia and Ukraine have been shaken by the experiences of family and friends at home.

“He was like ‘wake up…they’re bombing everywhere. They’re bombing my city, your city, they’re bombing all the cities'”

anonymous student

“I haven’t been off my phone, with trying to contact my family, reading every single article, watching every single video. I cannot not think about everything. It’s been very hard for me to concentrate and have time to write my dissertation.”

Another student described how they were woken up by a phone call from a friend early one morning: “He was like ‘wake up, because I have some bad for you. They’re bombing everywhere. They’re bombing my city, your city, they’re bombing all the cities. It’s a full-on invasion.’”

Others worried that they may not be able to afford to continue their studies. One Ukrainian student said: “If the conflict lasts a few more months, I’m not sure if I will be able to pay for university in April because my family have the accounts and they need to pay for their own needs.”

Several protests and demonstrations also took place over the last week as students stood in solidarity with Ukraine. Numerous charity events run by students raised funds for those impacted by the war.

One protester said: “Protests help to get people together and show us that we are not alone with our and calls to our families, that there are people supporting us and ready to talk or just give a hug.”

In a statement, the University said it was “considering the wider implications of this worsening conflict” on activities, and that “any decision to end existing activities or links would be taken as a stance against the deplorable actions of the Russian government.

Image Credit:

2 thoughts on “Durham students flee Russia and Ukraine

• EU sanctions will not work now – unless EU sanctions Chinese and other companies,who are trading with PRC.

That is the NEXT LEVEL of the sanctions

That is the CRUX and the TEST.If Chinese companies are sanctioned – then Emperor Xi ,will take note !

As of today,the Russia sanctions are pushing up prices in the market and thus BUILDING THE CASE FOR CHINESE TO BUY FROM RUSSIA AS 60-70% OF MARKET RATES – AS A WAY TO REDUCE COSTS and also get an edge in the markets, as the competitors of Chinese companies,are buying the materials, at market rates.

There is no need for SWIFT or CIPS as PRC and Russia can do BARTER TRADES – as barter is the best way to bypass SWIFT and sanctions.

In fact,Russian companies can get equity swaps in Chinese rare earths and Chinese can take equity in Nickel,Coal,Steel and Oil and Gas in Russia

And then,Russia can choke the rare earth exports to US and EU – as a sanction response by Russia !

• EU has banned Russian Steel and Iron

The Key is China !

PRC imports billions of tons of iron ore !

They will use Russian Ore,at discounted rates !

PRC is a steel exporter – but has a large number of steel units,which import coal and iron,from Aussie. PRC does NOT want to fund Aussie ! And PRC wants to shut down steel plants ,to save power and pollution.

Therefore,PRC can import Russian steel,at discounted rates.So Chinese Steel companies will EXPORT TO EU,at HIGH RATES – but USE RUSSIAN STEEL,FOR LOCAL DEMAND !

WIN-WIN !

SO THE KEY IS WHAT CHINA WILL DO ? dindooohindoo

IMPORTING RUSSIAN STEEL AND ORE – PROVIDES THE EXCUSE TO PBOC TO REMIT TO RUSSIA AND THE SUPER PROFITS TO CHINESE STEEL ON EXPORTS TO RUSSIA – CAN ALSO BE PASSED BACK TO RUSSIA !

SOONER OR LATER – NATO/US AND EU – WILL HAVE TO TACKLE THE ONLY PLAYER – PRC !