Lumiere set to return this year

Lumiere 2015By

The UK’s largest outdoor light festival is returning to Durham this year for the fourth time since 2009.

The festival, which attracted 175,000 people in 2013, will take place between 12th and 15th November 2015.

Locals are now being encouraged to send in their creative ideas for this year’s festival to organisers at Artichoke, one of the UK’s leading arts producers.

In 2013, art work from locals such as Durham-based builder Mick Stephenson was combined with work from abroad such as Rafael Lozano-Hemmer’s miniature replica of the sun, the ‘Solar Equation.’

Entries for this year’s festival should reach organisers by 12pm on Monday 23rd February and include an estimated budget. Winning entries will receive funding and practical support from Artichoke.

Full details about how to apply can be found here.

2013’s festival also saw organisers go into local schools to spread the word about their Philippines-based charity campaign, ‘Litre of Light’, which aims to bring light into homes without electricity. Another project, ‘The Other Side of the Wall’, saw the work of 100 prisoners exhibited in the Galilee Chapel inside the Cathedral.

Helen Marriage, Artichoke’s Artistic Director, said: “It’s wonderful to be bringing Lumiere back to Durham for a fourth time, especially during this United Nations International Year of Light.

“We had no idea in 2009 that Lumiere would become a fixture in the region and make the economic impact that it does. It now has a world reputation too.”

Simon Henig, Leader of Durham County Council, added: “We are thrilled to be working with Artichoke again and to be bringing what is widely acknowledged as the UK’s premier light festival back to the region.

Lumiere is not only a spectacular and breath-taking experience for residents and visitors, it provides a vital economic boost to the county’s winter economy. We know it also plays a key role in bringing people back to this area so that they can see more of what we have to offer.”

Photograph: Matthew Andrews