Lotus love: recipes using Lotus Biscoff spread and biscuits

In every ranking of British biscuits, Lotus biscuits have consistently graced the highest echelons. Last year, I was delighted to find out that Tesco stocked jars of blended Biscoff goodness, and I kept my jar dangerously close by my bed.

The juxtaposition of the gentle crunch of the biscuit against the delectable smoothness sounds like a paradox, but Biscoff spread is the stuff of dreams, and shines in many recipes.

No-Bake Raspberry Biscoff Cheesecake 

This cheesecake was inspired by a cheesecake I consumed at my college’s Halfway Formal. It was a raspberry cheesecake with what tasted like a Lotus Biscuit base.

The tart raspberries paired beautifully with the creamy cheesecake and indulgent Lotus biscuits. It was the perfect accompaniment to the bittersweet milestone of being halfway through my degree; though it was certainly sweet, it was by no means bitter. 

Ingredients

For the cheesecake

• Cream cheese, 200g
  • Whipped cream, 200 ml: you could also substitute half of the whipped cream with 100g of Greek yoghurt 
  • Icing sugar or granulated sugar, 30g. For this recipe I prefer icing sugar as it is smoother, but you could also substitute with any sweetener of your choice (honey works too) 
  • Vanilla extract, 1 tsp [optional but recommended]
  • Sea salt or regular table salt, 1 pinch [optional but recommended]
  • Lotus biscuits, 1 large packet
  • Lotus Biscoff spread (no quantities because you can put in how much you like)

To decorate: 

• Crushed Lotus biscuits
  • Fresh raspberries

For the raspberry coulis

• Fresh raspberries, 1 cup
  • Lemon juice, 1/4 of a lemon 
  • Granulated sugar, 30g  
  • Water (as much as necessary) 

Recipe

1. Using an electric mixer or whisk, beat the whipping cream and sugar until it forms stiff peaks. 
  2. In a separate large bowl, mix your cream cheese, Lotus Biscoff spread, and Greek yogurt (if using) until incorporated. 
  3. Fold whipped cream into cream cheese mixture and combine until smooth.
  4. Line a cake tin with parchment paper. 
  5. Cover the bottom of the tin with Lotus biscuits – the more the merrier. 
  6. Spread some of the cheesecake mixture on top.
  7. To make the raspberry coulis, blend raspberries, sugar, lemon juice, and water until combined, or mash with a fork.
  8. Strain mixture to get rid of the seeds.
  9. Swirl raspberry coulis into the cheesecake mixture using a fork.
  10. Top the cream cheese layer with fresh raspberries.
  11. Place more Lotus biscuits on top of the cream cheese mixture, and layer them with more cream cheese, raspberry coulis, and raspberries. 
  12. Repeat until the cake tin is full/you have used all the cream cheese batter.
  13. Decorate the top of the cheesecake with crushed Lotus biscuits and fresh raspberries.
  14. Place the cake in the fridge and let it set for at least 30 minutes.

Biscoff spread is the stuff of dreams, and shines in many recipes.

Crunchy Biscoff Daifuku

Daifuku (大福) is a small, round mochi (chewy and stretchy glutinous rice cake) stuffed with delicious fillings; my favourite fillings are red bean and strawberry.

I also attempted to make mochi at home with my microwave, and it was by far my greatest achievement this month. This recipe is very easy and fun to make (and can get a little messy; I promise you it’s worth it! 

Ingredients

• Glutinous rice flour, 1 cup 
  • Water, 1 cup
  • Sugar, ½ cup
  • Optional – cornstarch 
  • Lotus Biscoff Spread
  • Fresh strawberries, with stems removed

I did not put quantities for Biscoff spread and strawberries because you can adjust them however you like – it also depends on the size of your mochi! 

Recipe

1. In a microwaveable bowl, combine glutinous rice flour, water, and sugar.
  2. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place into microwave for 60 seconds. 
  3. After 60 seconds, carefully take the bowl out, stir, and microwave again for 60 more seconds. 
  4. Repeat process. At this point, the mochi should have been in the microwave for a total of 3 minutes, and been stirred three times. 
  5. Line your work surface and your hands with cornstarch and/or rice flour to prevent the mochi from sticking. 
  6. Carefully stick mochi to the work surface (use a spoon if still hot), cover thoroughly with flour and cornstarch, and roll into balls!
  7. Place one spoon of Biscoff into each piece of mochi. 
  8. Place strawberry on top of the Biscoff. 
  9. Fold the mochi around the strawberry until it is covered.
  10. Repeat with remaining mochi mixture.
  11. Optional but highly encouraged step: crush Lotus biscuits into fine crumbs (using a blender or Ziplock bag). Roll each mochi around the biscuit crumbs. 
  12. Once you’ve finished assembling, they are ready to eat!

In every ranking of British biscuits, Lotus biscuits have consistently graced the highest echelons.

Lazy Biscoff Apple Tart  

If you want to impress your family, friends, significant others or dates with minimal effort, this is the perfect recipe. To go the extra mile you can substitute the store-bought puff pastry with a homemade base of your choice. 

Ingredients

• Store-Bought Puff Pastry Dough, 1 packet
  • Apples, sliced thinly 
  • Lotus Biscoff Spread
  1. Preheat the oven to desired temperature, preferably the temperature suggested on the puff pastry packet (usually around 180-200ºC).
  2. 10 minutes before use, take the puff pastry dough out from the fridge.
  3. Roll out the puff pastry dough on a flat baking tray lined with parchment paper, or a buttered pie dish. 
  4. Spread the puff pastry with as much Lotus Biscoff spread as your heart desires. 
  5. Top the dough with your thinly sliced apples. 
  6. Put tray in oven for the time specified in the packet instructions (usually around 10-15 minutes). 
  7. Take out of oven once the pastry is crispy – once ready, serve while warm!

Image: Clever Cupcakes Bahrain via Flickr