Beat the Heat: Summer Recipes

By Constance Lam

If you want to enjoy your breakfast in the sun, but don’t want to break out in sweat, look no further! A heatwave won’t effect the speed-time of making these two breakfast foods, which should be ready within minutes.

Smoothie Bowl

To quote Harry Styles, this smoothie bowl “tastes like strawberries and a summer evening.” There are endless variations. If you prefer a more ice-cream like consistency, use more frozen fruit and less liquid. If you want a thinner drink, add more liquid.

Serves 1

Ingredients

• ½ – 1 frozen banana, depending on personal preference. To make things easier for yourself and your blender, peel and slice the bananas into small pieces before freezing them
  • ½ cup fresh or frozen strawberries, or fruit of choice
  • Liquid of choice: to make it creamy I suggest using almond or oat milk
  • Optional – peanut butter or nut butter of your choice. No specific quantity, you can put as much (or as little) as you want
  • Toppings: fresh fruit, nut butter, chocolate chips, nuts and seeds, granola, freeze-dried fruit (you can’t go wrong with banana chips)

Instructions

1. Blend fruit, liquid, and peanut butter (if using) together and adjust ingredients based on your consistency – if the ingredients are struggling to combine, add more liquid, and vice versa.
  2. Pour into bowl/cup.
  3. Decorate with toppings. If you want, you can plate them nicely. I recommend forming circular or vertical patterns and remember that some toppings, like blueberries, sink easily, so strategic layering is key. If you choose to pour everything on top at once (as I do), that’s a power move.
  4. Enjoy!

If you want to enjoy your breakfast in the sun, but don’t want to break out in sweat, look no further!

Tomatoast

You: bruschetta

Me, an intellectual: tomatoast

Whenever I eat at an Italian restaurant, I tend to stuff myself with bruschetta (but I will somehow find room for pasta, pizza, and dessert). What’s not to love about the addictive combination of crispy bread, juicy tomatoes, and fragrant olive oil? With this recipe you can make a quick and delicious snack with flexible ingredients.

Ingredients

• Fresh tomatoes, 2 (or more)
  • Olive oil (no quantities, follow your heart x)
  • Salt and pepper
  • Bread of choice (a baguette works well, but I am ashamed to admit that I make this with sliced bread during term time)
  • Grated garlic (optional)
  • Balsamic vinegar

Instructions:

1. Dice fresh tomatoes: the size is up to you, I like smaller pieces!
  2. Toss with grated garlic (if using), salt, pepper, and olive oil.
  3. Leave to sit for at least 10 minutes.
  4. Drain the extra tomato water out of the bowl.
  5. Slice the bread into portions.
  6. Toast bread of choice in an oven or toaster. Toasting time depends on the thickness/temperature of your oven, but it shouldn’t take long.
  7. Place tomatoes on the crispy bread.
  8. Drizzle with balsamic if you wish.
  9. Eat all of them in quick succession.

Image: blogmood via Pixabay