Last day to complete police survey on sexual harassment in County Durham

A survey to gather the views of women and girls on personal safety in County Durham and Darlington has been launched by police, and is due to close tomorrow.

The survey is completely anonymous, and will be used to tackle safety concerns surrounding sexual harassment in the area. The survey is taking place in conjunction with the Office of the Durham Police, Crime and Victims’ Commissioner, Durham County Council and Darlington Borough Council.

As of last Friday, more than 550 people have filled out the ‘Call it Out’ survey. If you would like to take part, follow the link here.

Chief Inspector Vicki Martin, from Durham Constabulary, commented: “No women should ever feel intimidated, harassed or unsafe. That is why we’re launching this survey – to enable women and girls in our community to have their say on their personal experiences and to tell us how safe they feel.”

“We want to know what they think the police and our partners could do better, and also want to ensure that anyone who needs help knows how to access it.”

Joanne Waller, Durham County Council’s head of community protection services said: “I would encourage as many women and girls to take part in this survey as possible to share their experiences and views on personal safety.”

No women should ever feel intimidated, harassed or unsafe.

Chief Inspector Vicki martin

James Storyan, Darlington Borough Council’s director of children and adult services, was keen to emphasise that “this is a time to reflect on what needs to be done to reduce violence, abuse and harassment against women and girls in our community”. He finished: “my message is simple: we are listening”.

This call out is part of a national attempt to shed light on, and tackle, persistent issues of sexual violence which follows the tragic disappearance of former Durham student, Sarah Everard in South London on 3rd March.

Image: Joe Walker