Jackie Weaver revealed as prize for the college with highest SU election voter turnout

Durham’s Students’ Union revealed today that the mystery celebrity prize given to the college with the highest SU election voter turnout will be non other than Jackie Weaver.

To encourage students to participate in the current elections, the SU had previously announced that there would be a prize for the college with the highest percentage of student voter turnout. It has now been confirmed that the winning college will receive a personalised message from Weaver herself. 

Jackie Weaver rose to fame after the infamous Handforth Parish Council Zoom meeting went viral, in which her no-nonsense attitude saw her expel fellow councillors from the virtual meeting. This promoted the phrase that was taken up by people across the nation: “You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver”.

With a total of almost 12,000 votes cast so far, nearly 10% of the student body has cast their vote in the elections, with nearly a day of voting still to go.

St Chad’s College is currently leading the way to Jackie Weaver with 31% of the college having voted, followed by Stephenson College and St Cuthbert’s Society, with 15.27% and 13.81% respectively.

To see how close your college is to winning a personal message from Jackie Weaver, go through this link www.durhamsu.com/election_stats

The SU elections close at 17.00 on Thursday 25th February. To win your college Jackie Weaver, you can vote for the candidates here.

Image: Durham Students’ Union