Durham University appoints two new College Principals

Two new College Principals have been appointed by Durham University at St Cuthbert’s Society and Van Mildert College.

Professor Tammi Walker will take up the Principal position at St Cuthbert’s Society. Currently a Professor of Psychology at Teesside University, she is also Director for the Centre for Applied Psychological Science. Her current research focuses on behaviour in NHS secure care and prisons, including maximum-security prisons for sexual and violent offenders.

Professor Tom Mole, a current Professor of English Literature and Book History at the University of Edinburgh will take over the Principal position at Van Mildert College. Tom’s research interests lie in the history of celebrity, book history, reception history and Romantic and Victorian literature.

The new Principals “will have responsibility for leading their respective Colleges to provide student enrichment, challenge and inspiration, generate a sense of belonging and community as well as providing support and wider wellbeing for students”.

“As Heads of College, both Tammi and Tom will provide leadership and direction to members of the College community and will be responsible for its student enrichment programmes and wellbeing agenda”.

They will both begin their roles in September 2021.

Image credit: Durham University