DUHC raise thousands of pounds to save The Dun Cow pub

Durham University students have started a fundraiser to save The Dun Cow pub.

The regular go-to spot for Durham University Hockey Club (DUHC) has been unable to reopen, despite the 12th April easing of lockdown restrictions, due to their lack of a beer garden.

With the future of the pub looking rather bleak, students decided to take action for themselves.

The GoFundMe page, aptly titled ‘Mission Save The Dun Cow’, was promptly shared around the Hockey Club and promoted on their social media accounts.

Started by the DU Hockey Team’s social sec, second-year Harry Oakes, the fundraiser reached £1,000 of donations within 25 minutes of its launch.

Jill Carey, who owns the pub with her husband Bill, commented that “The hockey team have been coming here for years, it a very important part of their university life. They have been loyal to us for so many years and they always organise a meet up here in the first week in June.

“We are overwhelmed by the support and we appreciate everything people are doing for us. The students get a bad reputation sometimes, but it is not deserved, they really care for this city and if it wasn’t for them, it would be a ghost town.”

The owners had attempted to create a temporary beer garden at the front of the pub, but Durham County Council declined their request.

Durham University’s Harry Oakes said: “The trigger was the fact that we could lose a part of Durham tradition. Both current students and a lot of the old boys from the hockey club have come together to help out on this one. We’ve managed to get just over £3,700 so far and we will keep it going as long as we can to reach that target of £8,000.

“As soon as we are able to get back in there as a club we will. It would be a real shame if we were to lose it, it’s a traditional pub run by lovely people. It’s not a chain, it’s not a huge business, but it has the community behind it.”

The fundraiser is currently at £4,000.

Image: Durham University Hockey Club Facebook Page