Food for February

By Emerson Shams

Greek butterflied prawns & Fried Asparagus

This is the perfect recipe for two. Inspired by a meal I used to have at my greek friend’s house, this warm meal is perfect to eat over a conversation. The asparagus side is a favourite at most family meals, it’s always good to have around.

Ingredients (serves 2)
10 raw prawns
Thin Asparagus
Spaghetti
6 cloves of garlic
1 shallot
Oregano
Olive Oil
Salt + Pepper
Parmesan Cheese (optional)

Method

1. Preheat oven to 220 C.
  2. Mince garlic. Slice Shallot. Slice along the back of the prawn to butterfly them. Make sure to completely remove shells.
  3. On a baking tray, lay out asparagus, pour olive oil until there is a thin layer on all the asparagus. It’s important to make sure there is no overlap on asparagus.
  4. Add pepper and oregano generously. Sprinkle salt.
  5. Place in oven for 30-40 minutes. You really want it to be roasted to the point that a bit of an oil/oregano crust forms.
  6. Boil and salt water in a pot. Add a bit of olive oil and spaghetti and cook as directed.
  7. Once spaghetti is finished, remove water. Then add olive oil and half the garlic. Mix over medium heat for a couple minutes.
  8. In a skillet, on low heat, saute shallot and garlic in a lttle bit of olive oil.
  9. Add butterflied prawns. Sprinkle them with salt, pepper, and oregano. Cook until no longer opaque.
  10. Serve with parmesan cheese on top.

Note: This recipe also works very well with scallops. If using defrosted seafood, make sure to completely dry off the prawns/scallops before cooking. Rosemary is also a good herb to use with the shrimp instead of oregano.

Tantalising Tacos

As it continues to be cold outside and your potato based food count increases, here is my own taco recipe. The perfect pick-me-up during winter as they explode with flavour.

Ingredients (makes 3 tacos)
1 boneless skinless chicken thigh or
breast
¼ lemon
Salt
Black Pepper
Olive oil
Fresh coriander
3 soft tortillas
6 cherry tomatoes
1 shallot or ½ medium white/yellow
onion
1 garlic clove
Soured cream (optional)
Grated mozzarella cheese (optional)
Rice (optional)
Romaine Lettuce shreds (optional)

Method

1. Thinly slice lemon (~¼ cm thick). Mince garlic clove. Thinly slice ½ the onion and dice the other half. Placed the diced onion aside for the salsa.
  2. Put 2 spoonfuls of olive oil into a frying pan. Add garlic, sliced onion, and lemon. Sprinkle salt on the lemon slices. Put on low to medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
  3. Dice chicken, then cover in black pepper. Place chicken in pan, and cook until done. Make sure to regularly stir.
  4. While the chicken is cooking, cut the tomatoes into quarters and chop the coriander finely. Mix together with diced tomatoes, and you have the salsa.
  5. Warm tortillas either in oven for a couple of minutes, until soft.
  6. Soured cream, cheese and rice are to place in the taco shells with the salsa and chicken.

Photograph by Emerson Muhmoud