Fishtank fires up as the bubble burns again

by Emma Chapman and Jess Denham

The lively yet cosy atmosphere of Fishtank was a perfect setting for the latest music night hosted by student run project TheBubbleBurning. Providing an eclectic choice of live bands and DJ sets, there was a sound to suit almost every taste and as a result,  the venue was quickly filled.

Tim and Sam kick-started the evening with quirky covers of some well-known hits such as ‘Virtual Insanity’ by Jamiroquai and ‘Toxic’ by Britney Spears. Their guitar and cello combination made for beautiful instrumentals while the nostalgic song choices (particularly ‘Fat Lip’ by Sum 41, a classic from most of our pre-teen years) ensured some singing along. Friendly yet professional, they eased the audience into the start of a brilliant night.

Liv and the Lionhardts, who have been gracing the college open-mic night circuit and were recently awarded second place at Collingwood’s Got Talent, presented an enticing concoction of acoustic folk and rhythmic percussion.

Up next and continuing the trend for ‘girl and her band’ groups were the widely praised Hannah and the Hedgehogs. Another folk-based outfit, the trio met upon starting at Durham and showcased a set that was chilled-out, yet kept all ears enthralled.

The Machiavellia ended the live music section, bringing a slightly heavier sound than most Durham student live music nights are used to. Dynamic and engaging vocals from Edd Toomey and expert accompaniment from Joel Cockcroft and Tom Cox on drums and bass respectively gave an edgier feel to the evening as they played a selection of their own songs to an enthusiastic crowd.

They gave an energetic and memorable performance which left the room buzzing for the three DJs that followed: Crafty BarnardoTim Japp, andThe Raspberry Armadillo.

TheBubbleBurning crew returns to appease the now ever-growing appetites of Durham’s live music fans, with a charity event at Market Vaults tonight, Thursday 16th February. Entry will cost a mere £2.50, with at least £1 from each ticket going towards UNICEF to help the victims of the recent disaster in the Phillipines. Great music for a great cause, what’s not to like?

Photograph courtesy of TheBubbleBurning