Face coverings will not need to be worn while seated in the library

By Jess Jones

An email to University staff seen by Palatinate has revealed that the rules for face coverings in the library will change from Monday 14th December. 

The changes, which apply to both students and staff, will mean that face coverings can now be removed when seated at a desk or, for staff, when behind a screen at the Help and Reception Desks. 

The changes will not affect the current rule that face coverings must be worn when moving around the Library and Collections building, and whilst having conversations when seated at a work desk as someone approaches. 

The email stated that this policy is in line with Government and University guidance. Any individual who is exempt from wearing a face covering due to a medical condition will be not be required to wear one.

At the start of the academic year the University provided two reusable face masks for students and staff to wear on campus. Face coverings have been mandatory inside all University buildings since 14th September.

However, since 9th November, face coverings have also been compulsory when seated at a desk in the library and household study areas, in multi-occupancy offices and in laboratories and workshops, providing that the face coverings do not represent an additional safety hazard.

Image: DS Pugh via Creative Commons