Durham’s takeaways: The top ten

With term starting and COVID regulations not easing any time soon, it looks like ordering in could be our new going out. Forget Players Wednesday, time for Takeaway Tuesday. 

As someone who spent lockdown in Durham, it is safe to say that I have now become well acquainted with the takeaways of DH1. So here is a list of all the top places where you can  splash out your maintenance loan and put your feet up on the sofa – it is takeaway time. 

1. Lotus Garden

Best Chinese takeaway I have had in Durham and I have had a lot – trust me. Delivery can sometimes extend further than expected, but you know what they say, distance makes the heart grow fonder. Expect massive portion sizes that you can reheat for those healthy morning chicken chow mein breakfasts. 

1. Nadon Thai 

Spring Rolls to die for and a brilliant Pad Thai, what’s not to love? If you want some great Thai food but cannot be asked to trek all the way to Crossgate (such an arduous trip I know), tap this in on the Deliveroo website and boom – dinner is ready. 

1. Lebaneat

A Durham staple, the halloumi and falafel wrap is a wrap to end all wraps. For the carnivores amongst, try the mixed kofta wrap. Located on the Bailey, expect quick delivery times and exquisite Lebanese food.

1. Fat Hippo 

Another Saddler Street to Sofa takeaway, no need to wait for a table, just wait for the doorbell to ring! With amazing vegan and meat burgers, the whole house can enjoy what Fat Hippo has to offer. 

1. Tango 

Opposite the Swan, this restaurant and takeaway place does the best nachos I have ever had. And I like my nachos. A lot. A tad on the expensive side, but the taste truly is worth it. 

1. Urban Oven

A true 2:30am post-club classic, now at any time! If you are truly missing your Friday Night Klute, why not purchase some cheesy chips or a kebab for your night in with some true cheese music playing the background, to truly get that ambience going. 

1. The Court Inn 

Bangers and mash, but make it delivered. That’s right, your favourite pub classics can be sent to you, all you need to do is make sure your favourite beverage (alcoholic or non alcoholic) is waiting for you in the fridge. 

1. Greggs

Now this was a surprise to me. A new addition on the JustEat website, the nation’s favourite bakery is going on tour! Hungover after a Zoom social? You can bag yourself a  Breakfast Omelette Baguette for £2.85, or get a hot drink alongside it for only £4. What a bargain. 

1. Stantons 

Who needs the seaside view for a fish and chips, when you can just order from Stantons? Cod and chips for £6? Now that is a price I welcome warmly with open arms. The cheesychips from here are also glorious. 

1. Muntaha 

Right, I am going to admit it, I cannot handle spice. So whilst I can only comment on the Korma and Pathia curry selection, I can wholeheartedly say you are in safe hands. With a very wide range of Indian food, there’s something for everyone.

Featured image via Unsplash