10 minute meals: Ramen

Right. It is 6:15pm – your 5pm lecture has finished and has left you defeated and ready for a quick nap before pre’s. But, of course, you have to line your stomach! So what’s for dinner? Let me introduce you to my go to 10 minute meal: Ramen (but the least authentic and most cost efficient ramen in the world). 

Sorry vegans, but you might want to sit this one out. 

Ingredients:

• 1 or 2 eggs depending on how you feel (get one of those big cartons of eggs at Tesco to get the most of your money)
  • Any instant noodle packet (ranging from 16-55 pence depending on the packet in Tesco)
  • Spring onions
  • Handful of Spinach 
  • Chicken stock (one teaspoon)
  • Ginger and garlic (optional)
  • Any form of protein (I often go for pre sliced and precooked chicken but ham/tofu/pork is also good)

Method:

1. Soft boil those eggs! Chuck them in a saucepan, cover them with water and cook on medium heat for 6 minutes.
  2. Whilst the eggs are boiling away, put the noodles in another saucepan with the seasoning mix and your stock and cook them for around 3-5 minutes, making sure you have a lot of broth ready.
  3. Cut up those spring onions. 
  4. If you’re feeling fancy, fry your protein in some garlic and ginger granules (only if you’re up for the challenge of finding another pan in your student kitchen).
  5. Pour the noodles into your favourite bowl, cut up your eggs once they are done and add the remaining veggies and protein. 

Boom. A quick, very cheap and easy dinner, giving you all the energy you need to conquer a night in Lloyds or the library.

Image: Michele Blackwell via Unsplash