Netflix of the North: Your Halloween Guide

Halloween may have been and gone, but this pagan festival can be happily dragged one with a long list of horror movies to binge-watch. So get your popcorn out of the microwave and get ready to scream to these films – all filmed in our very own North of England.

The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue (1974)

The title of this film certainly gives away its location. Ever wondered what Manchester would look like if zombies were let loose and were taking over the city due to radiation poisoning? Here is your answer. With a Rotten Tomatoes score of 80%, it would be silly to not watch this 70s horror movie.

Macbeth (2015)

This classic GCSE English Literature play may not strike you as a classic Halloween flick, but let me convince you. It features ghosts, murder and a moving forest – everything one could want in a scary movie. Featuring the likes of Michael Fassbender, David Thewlis and Marion Cotillard, this star studded cast will truly get you in the Halloween spirit!

Under The Skin (2015)

Another horror movie set in Scotland, this one features Scarlett Johannson as an alien trying to lure people into a van, leading to their untimely deaths. Science fiction and gore combined into one, put this on your television screen and you may not be able to sleep for days.

The Woman In Black (2012)

Daniel Radcliffe graces our screens not as Harry Potter but as Arthur Kipps, a lawyer sent to retrieve documents from a deserted mansion house in a small, unnerving town. The Yorkshire Dales serve as the primary filming point, allowing for beautiful scenery with sinister shots and jump scares so frightening, the lights in your house may hardly be switched off after watching.

The Awakening (2015)

It is 1921 and there appears to be ghosts hiding in a boarding school in Cumbria. Expect bangs, screeches and menacing supernatural entities with this one. Halloween is only complete when one watches a ghost thriller, so get your blanket ready to hide under, it is going to be a scary one.

Image by Parker West from Pixabay