Durham University to allow international students to arrive earlier

In an email to all undergraduates, Durham University has published a coronavirus update specifying recommended arrival dates for students for the next academic year.

Those travelling from countries on the UK’s quarantine list are recommended to arrive on Saturday 19th September or Sunday 20th September.

Returning undergraduates who are not required to quarantine (including home students) are recommended to arrive Saturday 3rd- 4th October.

There will be no additional cost for those livers-in arriving earlier except for a small charge for food and bedding.

The university is offering a free transfer service to pick up those flying into Newcastle Airport on the 20th-21st of September. Students can also book a pick up service on 12th-13th September, the recommended day of arrival for overseas freshers required to quarantine.

All those that would like to make use of the service have to book using an online form and will be given a PPE welcome pack on the coach.

The quarantine list is subject to change in the next month before students will fly to Durham. On the 27th August, the Czech Republic and Jamaica were added to the quarantine list whereas Cuba was moved to the list of countries in which travellers are not subjected to self-isolate for two weeks.