Durham University falls in university rankings for 3rd year in a row

Durham University has placed 7th in the 2024 Guardian university tables after falling in rankings for the third year in a row.

The Guardian’s 2024 league tables highlighted that Durham have seen a decrease from 2023 in the “satisfied with teaching,” and “satisfied with feedback” categories, which are calculated using data from the National Student Survey (NSS).

Since 2019, these areas have continued to drop, with satisfaction of teaching falling from 89 to its current figure of 83.7 and satisfaction of feedback falling drastically from 76 to 64.6.

Comparing to other 2024 tables, Durham also fell into the 7th spot in The Times while The Complete University Guide has the university ranked at 8th.

However, Durham ranked 78th in the QS World University Rankings 2024, which assesses 2,963 universities, moving up 14 places.

Durham also fell into 7th in The Time and 8th in The Complete University Guide tables

Just falling short of University of Bath, which overtook Durham by 0.2 points, Durham particularly exceeded in the “continuation” area, scoring the third highest below Oxford and Cambridge and surpassing the top spot holder St. Andrews.

“Continuation” on The Guardian university rankings table considers the percentage of first-year students continuing to second year.

And despite falling in the overall UK university league tables, Durham’s subject rankings in The Guardian show that the university has placed highly for many areas with 15 subjects being within the top 10.

The humanities subjects did particularly well with English taking 3rd place, Theology ranking at 4th and Classics and History in 5th. Many of Durham’s STEM subjects also saw high ranking with Physics placing 2nd to Oxford Biology in 4th and Economics in 5th.

“These results reflect our commitment to providing an exceptional experience”

durham university

A statement on Durham University’s website reads: “We’re pleased to share these excellent results, which consistently place us among the top 10 universities in the UK according to three prestigious league tables.

“In particular, we’re proud to highlight that eight of our subjects have achieved remarkable rankings within the UK’s top 5.”

The statement continues, “These results reflect our commitment to providing an exceptional experience for all our students.”

2 thoughts on “Durham University falls in university rankings for 3rd year in a row

• Durham University’s growth in Student numbers seems to have led to a fall in standards. Majority of students now live out of college after Year 1, having to fight in the private rental market. Rising costs mean that factors such as housing, food have a significant effect on student experience and ability to focus on their studies.

• If the stress of looking for housing , additional cost and usual problems that renting private accommodation create, Is there a plan for the university to address and provide optional on campus accommodation to 2nd and 3rd year students?

Seems there is also a perceived decline somewhat on teaching/academics even when there are some subjects ranked at the top. Why is this the perception? How does the university intends on tackling it?