Indigo Editorial #842: To club or not to club, that is the question

As we move further from Freshers’ Week and the memories of lockdown after lockdown, it is clear that clubbing has finally regained its place in university culture. There is a fun, constant chatter about who is going where, a slight fear of missing out, and of course the large swarm of people waiting for their Paddy’s.

Clubbing is a new part of the student social life to grapple with. For some freshers who celebrated 18th birthdays mid-lockdown, getting into the swing of university life has certainly got more exciting, but more complicated. 

Some still refrain from the smelly, packed room of drunk twenty-somethings boogying to – once put like that, I wonder why! There is a pressure to go out, a pressure to spend, and a pressure to be in good form. On top of university work, extra-curricular activities and cooking on a budget, these are additional stresses that need to be managed.

Getting into the swing of university life has certainly got more exciting, but more complicated.

Now that Freshers’ Week is over, the academic term has begun and friendships are forming and re-forming after such a strange year, the pressure to go clubbing is diminishing. It is simply wonderful that clubs are open again, life is getting back to normal and the university lifestyle that most sign up for is finally being fulfilled.

Fortunately, now for us students going clubbing is a choice. It is not the be all and end all. We have a place to let loose, dance our worries away and have a sobering walk home at the end of the night. 

Like some clubbing nights in Durham these days, Indigo does not have a theme this edition. Our contributors go from debating the positives and negatives of NFTs in Visual Arts on page 3, to a detailed explanation of why butternut squash should be the next staple on your shopping list in Food and Drink on page 4. Just in time for Halloween, Food and Drink also offer readers some helpful advice on what to cook to celebrate the holiday on page 4 – the ‘Very Bloody Mary’ sounds ‘scarily’ good. 

Fortunately, now for us students going clubbing is a choice

As we move to page 6 Stage explores the changes to student theatre with the return of in-person auditions, while Books’ contributors on page 7 review this year’s shortlist for the Gordon Burns Prize. After Style use pages 8 and 9 to show readers exactly what the fashion is for the new Durham academic year, Film and TV put readers in the seasonal mood exploring how different films portray autumn. 

Three contributors in Creative Writing on page 11 use their skills to explore male influence in their lives, while Features on page 12 argue that Durham’s culture should be more appreciated. Just in time for the ABBA night in Players, Music on page 13 gives us the lowdown on ABBA’s return, while Travel uses the next two pages to offer some humorous nightmare travel stories. To finish the edition is an incredibly important Interview on page 16 with an anonymous disabled student about their struggles as Durham returns to ‘normal’.

We hope that you enjoy this edition. It might even, hopeful I know, make you want to skip the occasional night at Players and write an article for us instead!