Durham University Department of Mathematical Sciences’ expansion

Since relocating to a new £42 million building on Upper Mountjoy in 2021, Durham University’s Mathematical Sciences Department has been able to expand and enhance their global research reputation.

The Department currently ranks 4th in the UK in The Complete University Guide 2023, combining world-leading research with a high-quality, innovative learning experience for their students.

The modern site was designed with a clear focus on shared learning spaces, allowing the department to develop its learning community as students and staff can discuss and collaborate on exciting new opportunities for research.

The modern site was designed with a clear focus on learning spaces, allowing the department to develop its learning community

The enlargement has also meant that the University have been able to initiate a new undergraduate course in Mathematics and Statistics. Durham University’s involvement in the Master of Data Science has also increased greatly.

Another advantage of the expansion is proven through an expansion in research. The department’s Probability group has developed, providing greater team numbers, and an Analysis group has been created in Pure Mathematics. The Applied Maths group has also diversified into new directions such as mathematical biology.