Bowburn Community Centre Heritage Rooms have reopened

Bowburn Local History Society’s Heritage Room, located in Bowburn Community Centre, has reopened.

The Heritage Room was closed at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic but has now reopened.  The Heritage Room is open to the public on Wednesday from noon to 2PM, but may also be open on other days through appointments.

The Heritage Room is staffed by volunteers and includes a wide selection of books, maps, photographs and memorabilia that honour Bowburn’s strong working class and coal mining heritage.

The collection also highlights important transports that that run nearby Bowburn, such as the Roman’s Cades Road and A1(M).

“We hope to attract more people to find out about our local history in the room and at our meetings”

Mike Syer, Chairman of bowburn local history society

Mike Syer, Chair of Bowburn Local History Society, stated: “Thanks to the efforts of volunteers, including many from Durham University, and the funding we secured, visitors can now be guided quickly to what they’re interested in […] we hope to attract more people to find out about our local history in the room and at our meetings.”

Funding, including a £1000 community grant provided by the housing association Believe Housing, has been used to update the facilities available for visitors, including a digitisation of archived photographs and records, and an event programme that includes talks by guest speakers.

Anne-Mare Parkin, a Community Investment Coordinator at Believe Housing, said: “It is wonderful to see this facility improved and reopened so local people of all ages, and visitors, can understand and celebrate the area’s history.” She continued to add that she hopes local residents “make use of it and develop new skills” while meeting “likeminded people.”