BrewDog delays opening date on Milburngate site due to Tolent

In August 2022, popular pub chain BrewDog announced their plans to open a new bar in Durham City, moving into the Milburngate development.

Despite proposals originally suggesting the venue would be complete in early 2023, the opening date has since been delayed. According to a BrewDog spokesperson, the opening date for the Durham city venue can’t be made until clarity from the council and managers of the Milburngate development can be sought.

It is understood that the delay is due to problems with Gateshead-based construction company Tolent, which fell into administration earlier this year – disrupting many important projects.

BrewDog’s opening date has been delayed as the company look for clarity from the council and administrators

BrewDog’s 3,736 sq ft plan will include a large outdoor seating area, providing students and residents with scenic views of the city through the glass front and balcony; a modern edge to Durham’s historic setting.

Taking this prime location, students and locals alike will be able to grab a pint whilst overlooking the River Wear and Durham Cathedral.

BrewDog will be joining other premium brands who currently reside in Milburngate, including the luxury cinema chain, Everyman. Further details of the bar and other occupiers who are set to join the hotspot location are expected to be publicised in the coming weeks.

A spokesperson for BrewDog told The Northern Echo: “We are looking forward to confirming a date for our bar opening when we have clarity from the council and administrators on the Milburngate development being completed.”

Amy Harhoff, Durham County Council’s corporate director of regeneration, economy and growth, added: “We look forward to welcoming BrewDog and other incredible businesses to Milburngate, and are currently working with the developer partner for the site to complete the development and finalise dates for opening.”

Image: Duncan Cumming via Flickr

One thought on “BrewDog delays opening date on Milburngate site due to Tolent

• Have come to expect better editorial oversight than passing ‘grab a pint’ in reporting on a hugely promoted hospitality venue in one of the most desirable licensed locations in the country.