Durham University beaten on University Challenge

University Challenge Durham

Durham University has been beaten on University Challenge against Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge. The final score was 95 to 275.

The show aired on Monday evening on BBC 2, and was a quarter final match.

During their first round, aired on 6 October, the Durham team took on Brasenose College, Oxford and had a landslide victory of 250 to 35.

In the second round, Durham faced York. Durham was once again victorious, beating York University 210 to 160.

Selection for the University Challenge competition is carried out via try-outs during Michaelmas term each year. This is organised by the Students’ Union with the support of the common rooms, who each enter a team and host the preliminary matches.

Joely Charlton, Activities Officer at the Students’ Union, commented: “The Union has worked hard to improve the team selection process. In the past we held inter-college try-outs, with the best college going on to the TV show.

“We changed this process and introduced wild-card teams, to give more people the opportunity to try out. Throughout the try-outs we monitor individuals’ scores and the final team is made up of the best individuals.

“We have seen this pay off so far this series, with Durham so far easily progressing to the quarter finals.”

University Challenge airs at 20:00 on Monday, BBC2.

Photograph: Durham Students’ Union