Durham South Bailey paths closing for refurbishment

A historic street in the centre of Durham City will be partially closed for 11 weeks due to refurbishment work, the council has confirmed. 

The South Bailey footpaths in Durham City, close to the famous Durham Cathedral will be partly closed from August 21st until November 6th whilst the street is refurbished. 

The 11-week refurbishment period will include laying new natural stone footpaths and kerbs, as the council assures businesses and locals the disruption will be minimal.

The work will be paused during Durham University Freshers Week from September 23rd to October 1st and during the biannual Lumiere festival taking place from November 16th to 19th.

A historic street in the centre of Durham City will be partially closed for 11 weeks due to refurbishment work, the council has confirmed

The Durham County Council’s cabinet member for highways, rural communities, and community safety, Councillor John Shuttleworth, has emphasised the significance of the paths that are an important part of the city’s heritage. 

Mr Shuttleworth said: “The Bailey is a high footfall area due to its historical significance and access to university buildings and is a popular path leading to Prebends Bridge and the riverbanks.

“We are carrying out a programme of refurbishments to ensure the long-term future of this route while maintaining its heritage characteristics, so it remains an attractive and accessible area for the hundreds of thousands of visitors to Durham.

“We have worked with the University and businesses to ensure minimum disruption during the closure, and we would like to thank people for their patience while these essential works are carried out.”

“We are carrying out a programme of refurbishments to ensure the long-term future of this route while maintaining its heritage characteristics, so it remains an attractive and accessible area for the hundreds of thousands of visitors to Durham”

COUNCILLOR JOHN SHUTTLEWORTH

This phase of work will continue into 2024 as part of a broader refurbishment scheme in the North and South Baileys.

Image: Christopher Hilton via Wikimedia Commons