Durham Brass Festival 2023 hailed as a great success

The annual County Durham Brass Festival returned to Durham’s historic city centre from July 9th-July 16th for an exciting week of eclectic musical performances.

Taking inspiration from the brass band heritage of County Durham, the 7-day event invited musicians from across the globe to perform within the county’s streets to weave together all musical genres into a vibrant and entertaining festival. Venues such as Gala Durham, Consett Empire and Durham Town Hall hosted various gigs for the public to enjoy.

Within Durham, every corner was filled with the sound of trumpets, trombones, and horns, with bands playing for audiences outside Durham Cathedral and Millenium Place. Artists could also be heard from Market Place, Framwellgate Bridge, Palace Green, and Whisky River and Boat Club.

The 7-day event invited musicians from across the globe to perform within the county’s streets to weave together all musical genres into a vibrant and entertaining festival

The festival was opened on Monday 10th July by one of the headlining acts, Fat Freddy’s Drop, who boast over 900k monthly listeners on Spotify. Crowds flocked to Durham’s Gala Theatre to hear the New Zealand based band, made up of DJ Fitchie, Joe Dukie, Chopper Reeds, Tony Chang, Kuki Blaze, Hopepa, ManRaro and Mark Williams, who’s sound is described as the ultimate mix of anything from rock to reggae.

On the evening of Saturday 15th July a ‘Party in the Park’ took place in Durham’s Wharton Park, which saw performances from a variety of bands such as Girlesque and The Original Pinettes. Fans of brass music could bring their own picnic and enjoy this event for free from 5:30-9:30 pm.

Elizabeth Scott, Durham County Council’s cabinet member for economy and partnerships, said: “Once again Durham Brass Festival has been a huge success, attracting tens of thousands of people to the county to enjoy the energy and variation of brass music, from lively contemporary to treasured traditional brass.

“We hope everyone had a fantastic time at any of the events they attended, and we’re already looking forward to welcoming people back for next year.”

Over 30,000 people joined in with Durham Brass Festival 2023 which has been hailed as a great success

Over 30,000 people joined in with Durham Brass Festival 2023 which has been hailed as a great success.

Image: Artistas del Gremio performing in Durham, by Glyn Nelson via Flickr