Durham lecturer undertakes 40 charity runs for the Great North Run’s 40th anniversary

By Richard Waters

A Durham University academic is completing 40 charity runs to raise money for St Cuthbert’s Hospice. Dr Sarah Miles, Associate Professor in the Department of Classics and Ancient History, is running 300 miles of coast and countryside over the course of 78 days.

Dr Miles, who is a researcher into Greek comedy, tragedy and paratragedy, plans to run in five mile, 10 mile, and half marathon (13.2 miles) chunks. She is undertaking the charity runs as a part of the Great North Run Solo Challenge, and has already covered 257 miles, and has raised over £1600.

Dr Miles said that “The Hospice needs our support. They provide palliative and end-of-life care, and huge support for friends and family.”

“Covid-19 has only made their work more difficult, and especially lessened their ability to raise funds. Please help me raise money for this amazing Hospice.”

– Dr Sarah Miles

The Senior Fundraiser at St Cuthbert’s Hospice, Jade McArdle, welcomed Dr Miles’ efforts. “When we heard that the Great North Run was to be cancelled we were so sad for all of our runners who had been putting in the hard work training and fundraising ahead of the event.”

Dr Miles has so far run from Lindisfarne in Northumberland down to Boulby in North Yorkshire, as well as completing runs in North Wales and County Durham. 

She will finish on the 13th September, the scheduled date of the 40th Great North Run before the Covid-19 Pandemic forced its cancellation.

To make a donation or to see further photographs visit: www.justgiving.com/fundraising/sarah-miles-gnrsolo.

Images: Sarah Miles