Professor Carlos Frenk, Ogden Professor of Fundamental Physics at Durham University who is one of 24 Clarivate 2020 Citation Laureates announced worldwide.

Durham Cosmologist recognised as being “of Nobel class” for work on evolution of the universe

Professor Carlos Frenk, Ogden Professor of Fundamental Physics at Durham University, has been announced as one of 24 Clarivate 2020 Citation Laureates. 

Clarivate recognises highly-cited researchers whose work is deemed to be of “Nobel Class”. This is assessed by analysis from the Institute for Scientific Information (ISI).

54 researchers listed in Clarivate’s Hall of Citation Laureates have gone on to receive a Nobel Prize. 

Professor Frenk’s work focusses on cold dark matter, a mysterious substance thought to make up a large part of the universe. He uses powerful supercomputers to investigate its formation and evolution.

A projected dark matter density map from Professor Frenk’s research simulations. The intermediate square (top right) is just under a million light years across. The bottom left square is the deepest zoom: it is only 783 light years across, equivalent to 500 times the size of the solar system.

Professor Frenk has already been recognised internationally. He holds the Royal Astronomical Society’s highest honour, the Gold Medal for Astronomy. Previous recipients include Albert Einstein, Charles Babbage and Edwin Hubble.

Professor Frenk said: “Cosmology – the study of the contents and evolution of our universe – is about as fundamental a subject of research as there can be in science.” 

“To share this honour with, for example, researchers in the life sciences whose work has contributed to drug and vaccine development, or to personalised approaches to cancer treatment, is a reflection of the richness of this great human endeavour that we call science”

Joel Haspel of Clarivate  said: “This year’s Laureates have advanced humanity’s understanding of topics as varied as the gender pay gap, nanocrystals and how galaxies are formed.” 

“This year’s Laureates have advanced humanity’s understanding of topics as varied as the gender pay gap, nanocrystals and how galaxies are formed.”

Joel Haspel, Clarivate

David Pendlebury, Senior Citation Analyst at the Institute for Scientific Information at Clarivate said: “To be cited 2,000 times or more is a rarity.” Professor Frenk’s research is in the top 0.01 per cent of 50 million research papers appearing on Web of Science since 1970 that have been cited 2,000 times or more by fellow academics.

Cover Image: Durham University. Dark Matter Image: Dr. Sownak Bose – Center for Astrophysics, Harvard University