Durham knocked out of University Challenge

University Challenge DurhamBy

Durham University have been knocked out of University Challenge, after losing to Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, in the semi-final, 170 to 75.

Durham had previously lost to Gonville and Caius in the quarter-finals, 95 to 275.

The team were victorious in their other quarter-final matches, beating Liverpool 175 to 100 and Trinity College, Cambridge, 145 to 105.

However, Durham did not accumulate enough points to join Magdalen College, Oxford, in the final.

Selection for the University Challenge competition is carried out via try-outs during Michaelmas term each year. This is organised by the Students’ Union with the support of the common rooms, who each enter a team and host the preliminary matches.

Joely Charlton, Activities Officer at the Students’ Union, commented: “The Union has worked hard to improve the team selection process. In the past we held inter-college try-outs, with the best college going on to the TV show.

“We changed this process and introduced wild-card teams, to give more people the opportunity to try out. Throughout the try-outs we monitor individuals’ scores and the final team is made up of the best individuals.”

The show aired on BBC2 at 20:00.

Photograph: Durham Students’ Union