Durham Fire & Ice Festival to return this week

Durham Fire & Ice Festival will return to the city centre this Friday and Saturday.

The show, in its fourth year, will feature sculptures based around the theme of ‘Heroes and Villains’. The exhibits will form a trail around the city, in a similar vein to Durham Lumiere, including the Cathedral and Castle.

Both nights of the event are free to enter and include a ‘night time specular in Market Square’

Both nights of the event are free to enter and include a ‘night time specular in Market Square’, a show that is reported to include shooting flames and water jets, orchestrated to music. This year will also include an ice sculpture of North East television personalities Ant and Dec, after 56% of the public voted in a poll to pick a local hero to fit the theme.

The sculptures have been crafted by Glacial Arts, the same company that produces sculptures for the set of Game of Thrones. These will include creatures from ‘Fantastic Beasts’, Batman and Darth Vader.

Last year’s event attracted thousands of extra visitors to the city and was the busiest February half-term for the city on record.

This year features an ice sculpture of Ant and Dec

The event page states: “Visitors to the City will be wowed once again as they witness the elements coming together in an epic battle of good versus evil.

“With ice sculptures depicting some of nation’s most loved heroes and villains, from classic comic books to starts of the big screen, there’ll be plenty to keep the crowds coming into the City!”

Photograph: Google via Creative Commons

One thought on “Durham Fire & Ice Festival to return this week

• Had a fantastic day hope it comes back next year