Emergency homeless shelter launched in city

News Editor

An emergency night shelter, supported by local churches, The Salvation Army and student group Just Love, is being trialled in Durham City.

The six-week long trial provides emergency shelter to Durham city’s homeless when the temperature drops one-degree celsius or below. The local council already provide a similar service, but it is only activated after three consecutive days of below zero temperatures.

The six-week long trail provides emergency shelter to Durham city’s homeless when the temperature drops one-degree celsius or below

The shelter aims to provide somewhere warm sleep and a meal for those that find themselves on the streets during Durham’s cold nights.

Alaister Taylor, a student from Just Love, told Palatinate: “it wasn’t until the ‘Beast from the East’ hit us last year that I started to think seriously about setting up a shelter.

“We wanted to set up a 6-week trial Shelter. This would allow us to access the scale of the rough sleeper issue. The local council already has cold weather provisions, but we wanted to provide emergency accommodation to compliment this.

“We have a leadership team of five people and from early November we’ve amassed 75 trained volunteers”.

When asked about future plans for the shelter Taylor said: “A really exciting possibility is the potential to help accommodate people who are newly out of prison. Ex-prisoners can be left in a very vulnerable position.

“They are given a small amount of money and essentially told to fend for themselves. This can often lead to homelessness and addiction issues. It would be fantastic if the Church community could help in some way.”

Featured Image: Durham Winter Night Shelter via Facebook