Durham City footbridge closed due to structural issues

Leazes Footbridge, which crosses the A690 and provides pedestrian access from Claypath to the city centre and riverside, was closed to the public last week due to safety concerns. 

After a routine inspection by officers from Durham County Council, it was determined more detailed investigations were necessary. Further surveys by a specialist contractor have subsequently revealed concerns regarding the joints on the underside of the bridge. The bridge will remain closed as the council considers what to do next.

A signed diversion for pedestrians and cyclists will remain in place for the duration of the closure.

Surveys revealed concerns regarding the joints on the underside of the bridge meaning the bridge will remain closed while the council considers what to do next

Durham City Council’s strategic highways manager, Paul Watson, said, “It is important that we consider the results of the investigations carried out by the contractor and look at all available options for the future of the footbridge.

“We appreciate that the bridge is very well used, providing a key route from Claypath into the city centre, we would like to thank the public for their patience. We would encourage everyone wishing to cross the road to use the signed diversion.”