Durham applicants can now rank colleges in order of preference

Durham applicants hoping to join the university for the 2021-22 academic year can now rank colleges in order of preference. 

The process is designed to make the system fairer and more transparent, seeking to maximize the number of applicants who receive their first choice of college. 

“We hope that using these will enable many more to receive college allocations that they are satisfied with.” 

Durham University

During the allocation period, the process looks at the student’s first preference and attempts to make a decision for that college. If the limit for the number of offers for a department in a specific college has been reached, the process will move on to consider the second college on the list. This will continue until the applicant is placed in one of the 16 colleges. 

The University has said, “we hope that using these will enable many more to receive college allocations that they are satisfied with.” 

Durham boasts one of the lowest drop-out rates of all UK universities and a high student satisfaction rate. The university explains that “the colleges offer consistent levels of support and we aspire to create diverse communities that reflect our core value of inclusivity. The unique collegiate system is a core part of our student experience.”

Despite the new ranking system, there is still an option to submit an open application should the applicant be willing to do so. Those who choose to take advantage of the ranking system can edit their choices up until the point that the allocation is made.

Image: Maddie Fisher