Two of Durham’s leading academics made Fellows of the British Academy

Two of Durham’s leading academics, Professor Martin Clayton and Professor John Barclay, have been made Fellows of the British Academy in recognition of their outstanding contributions to the studies of humanities and social sciences. 

Each year, up to 52 noteworthy academics are chosen, a significant distinction as only a small number of any field are selected. 

The British Academy was established in 1902 and is now a fellowship of more than 1000 leading scholars. 

Professor Clayton, Professor of Ethnomusicology, directs a major research project, ‘Interpersonal Entertainment in Music Performance,’ which aims to develop a greater understanding of how groups of people coordinate behaviour within a musical context. 

His main research interests include North Indian , British-Asian music and Western music in India. 

Professor Barclay has been at Durham as a Lightfoot Professor of Divinity since 2003. His research largely centres on early Christianity and Judaism, and he has recently published ‘Paul and the Gift,’ a study of Pauline theology from the perspective of Paul’s theology of grace. 

He is presently researching the second part of his series, featuring the construction of community within Paul’s letters. 

Currently, Barclay is the President of TRS-UK, a body that represents and coordinates the Departments of Theology and Religious Studies across the UK. 

Martin Clayton and John Barclay join the nine other scholars of Durham University that have been made Fellows of the British Academy since 2010. 

Image: Durham University