DUAFC: A success story

by

Durham University Association Football Club have enjoyed their most successful season ever after the second team held their nerve on the final day of the season to complete a momentous double promotion for the club.

An emphatic 3-0 victory away at Northumbria – when anything less than three points would have seen rivals Sheffield win the league instead – sealed the second team’s promotion into Northern 3B, and together with the first team’s 100% record in the league marks DUAFC’s most memorable campaign to date.

The final-day triumph for the seconds, who are coached by Gateshead player Chris Moore, was the culmination of a fine run of form which saw them cruise to six successive victories in the last six games of the season.

During this sumptuous spell, they scored 28 goals and conceded just two.

Although the 3-0 win against Northumbria 3s on the last day of the season illustrated the team’s ability to perform under pressure, the truly decisive victory came three weeks before against closest rivals Sheffield 2s.

A last-minute winner from midfielder Adam Hayes, who was celebrating his 21st birthday, left the South Yorkshire side – who were in the driving seat for promotion at the time – demoralised and swung the title momentum massively in Durham’s favour.

The confident Palatinates then dispatched Newcastle 2nds 5-0 at home, setting up a tantalising all-or-nothing climax to the season at Northumbria.

Durham had to match Sheffield’s result to guarantee promotion, and to add to the drama their rivals were playing on a parallel pitch against Northumbria 4s at the same time.

Sheffield did all they could, registering a comfortable 3-0 win, meaning any slip from Durham would be severely punished.

The team’s strength of character, engendered under the sharp tutelage of Chris Moore, meant such a capitulation was unlikely, however.

Indeed, two early goals signified Durham’s dominance before a third was added to secure promotion and cap off a perfect season for the team and the club.

The seconds will join the likes of York 1sts, Teeside 1sts and Huddersfield 1sts in Northern 3B next year, while the first team – who on the final day maintained their 100% record with a tenth consecutive league victory – will compete in Northern 1A against Newcastle, Leeds, Leeds Met, UCLAN and Chester.

Exciting times lie ahead for DUAFC, whose unprecedented success will surely have been noticed by Team Durham, the organisers and distributors of funding to the university’s sport clubs.

3 thoughts on “DUAFC: A success story

• “whose unprecedented success will surely have been noticed by Team Durham, the organisers and distributors of funding”

whilst congratulations must go to the football team for all their success, the comment regarding funding is a contentious one. The harsh reality is that winning BUCS north 2B and going out in the last 32 of the northern conference cup means that the 1st team has earnt Durham no more than 20 BUCS points. When you compare this to the likes of the rugby 1st team (excluding the 2s, 3s and 4s) earning Durham 150 points last season and on course to do it again and the hockey club earning 308 points already this season the work of the football club is faily small and thus the funding will remain that way.

• Firstly, the comment was only that the success will have been “noticed” by Team Durham, which is surely far from contentious.

Secondly, the 1st team will play at their highest ever level next year and will be involved in the main BUCS cup – with all the potential points on offer.

With some more financial backing from Team Durham, DUAFC is a club that could continue to grow, enhancing the university’s sporting reputation significantly (remember football is our national sport) and earning more BUCS points at the same time.

If back-to-back promotions can be achieved without significant funding, imagine what could be achieved with it.

This of course doesn’t detract from the remarkable success achieved in sports like rugby and hockey, who fully justify their elite funding.

But it is more than reasonable to expect a response from Team Durham after a year of unprecedented success for the football club.

• Nobody is comparing durham football to rugby, cricket, hockey OR lax. More funding IS fair for a squad that has won two league titles out of two with very little resources and playing home games on a ruined (by college football) racecourse pitch, as so many other sports teams have preference over the rubbercrumb. Team Durham will surely want to reward such hard work, as it is only going to help improve the team prospects further and attract footballing students to the university.