Construction of New College Durham teaching centre begins at Langley Moor 

A new teaching facility has begun construction in Langley Moor as part of an expansion of New College Durham. 

The £1.7 million project will aim to convert a factory unit at Littleburn Industrial Estate into a teaching centre focusing on trade subjects. 

Initially established in 1977 in Framwellgate Moor, New College Durham is a further education and sixth form college that was combined through a merger between Neville’s Cross College and Durham Technical College. In 2011, it became one of two colleges in the United Kingdom to hold Foundation Degree Awarding Powers.

“We’re excited to be able to provide another new fantastic teaching space for our students”

Andy Broadbent

With roots in technical training stretching back to 1921 for teacher education and training to support Durham’s mining industry, New College Durham offers a wide range of courses. It mainly focuses on vocational training, including engineering, construction and teacher education. New College Durham’s Framwellgate Moor site offers further education courses for pupils aged 16 and over. 

The new teaching facility centre in Langley Moor will provide an opportunity for bricklaying students where lessons on painting, maintenance and housing construction will be offered. 

“We’re excited to be able to provide another new fantastic teaching space for our students.” Andy Broadbent, Principal of New College Durham stated in an article by the BBC. 

Image: NCDOfficial via Wikimedia Commons