College cancels formals citing national supply line issues

Castle MCR called off a formal yesterday citing national supply line issues. The University insists it is not facing any food shortages. The formals are being replaced by a Welcome Dinner in the Great Hall of Castle tomorrow, with a different format and formal wear and gowns encouraged.

The events were due to take place on Thursday 23rd and Friday 24th September. Castle MCR told students it was due to an “industry-wide shortage of catering staff”, along with “increased lead time on stock deliveries”.

But a spokesperson for the University told Palatinate: “The two University College MCR events were merged into one for various reasons, primarily low ticket sales. We are not facing any food shortages.”

An email sent to Castle postgrads reassured that “there will be a number of formals to look forward to throughout the academic year”, adding “our fantastic food & beverages team in Castle are busy working on getting formals ready to begin at the start of term”.

Incoming postgrad student Meghan commented: “I think they resolved the situation just fine with having just one formal event …I appreciate their communication”.

It comes amidst national concerns as lorry drivers shortages, compounded by the pandemic and Brexit, have led to delayed supply lines and staff shortages in the hospitality industry.

Image by

Donate to Palatinate