DPOCA launch Christmas gift fundraiser for local children

The Durham People of Colour Association (DPOCA) have launched a campaign to buy Christmas gifts for children in the local community. The campaign, called Operation Christmas Joy 2020, aims to fundraise £2,020 in 20 days to buy the gifts from local businesses and distribute them to families.

Local charities, including Durham City of Sanctuary, Durham Area Action Partnership and Laurel Avenue Foodbank have partnered with DPOCA to reach out to those in difficulty and deliver the gifts over Christmas. A fundraising page has already been set up and will be open for donations until 9th December.

The campaign will also ask all colleges to choose three gifts from a list and to then fundraise the cost of 20 of each gift. The campaign will come into force in a year where Durham’s Christmas Festival was cancelled. The festival would have included a marquee on Palace Green, markets in Durham Cathedral’s cloisters, Market Place and Town Hall, as well as festive music and special seasonal events.

“2020 has been a difficult year for us all, filled with a lot of negativity and hate”, said Dan Takyi, President of DPOCA. “Given the amount of misfortune and hardships that we’ve all experienced over the course of this year, we as the Durham People of Colour Association believe that it is only right to try and end it on a high note with some positivity, kindness and celebration.

“In order to try and spread some holiday spirit, we have decided that the best way to do this would be to provide some Christmas cheer to children in the North East. This will go towards helping the families as well as supporting the charities themselves as they recover from Covid-19.”