Camera eats First: The food youtubers I can’t get enough of

By Constance Lam

Kicking off a new series in Features about the best content creators to follow, and in collaboration with the Food & Drink section, Constance tells us about the foodie youtube channels she loves.

When I’m not eating, cooking, or baking, chances are I’m watching someone on the Internet do the same. While loitering at home during the post-exams period, my YouTube subscriptions list has blossomed exponentially. I can now curate the perfect digitally-induced food coma for every occasion under the sun.*

*links to the videos mentioned are included in article – click to view

For when you want to travel but can’t

If you love food and travel, chances are that you will be as obsessed with these two channels as I already am.

• What better way to spend a few hours than living vicariously through Mike Chang of Strictly Dumpling, as he feasts on five-star all you can eat buffets in Bali and six-course A5 Wagyu beef luxury hotpot. His impressive appetite isn’t just limited to expensive foods; Chang can clear the shelves of 7-elevens around Asia. A mukbang in 7-11 may seem absurd at first, but 7-11 in many Asian countries is stocked with delicious offerings, so you could spend a whole day happily eating (as he did for 24 hours in Tokyo).
  • Though Mark Wiens and Strictly Dumpling are fairly similar channels (the two have even collaborated before), they have each carved unique niches. Mark Wiens focuses on street food and fresh local cuisine. Currently based in Bangkok, his recent content features delicious homemade meals, a socially distant food tour, and his wife and baby. You can name any place and Mark Wiens has most likely eaten there. He has previously travelled to street markets and villages in Laos and Ethiopia. Like Mike Chang, Mark Wiens can eat copious amounts of food in a day, and will never tire of it; his iconic facial expression whenever he eats something delicious testifies to this.

I can now curate the perfect digitally-induced food coma for every occasion under the sun

For when you want restaurant quality food in your own kitchen

• Perhaps the most unique thing about Binging with Babish is Andrew Rea’s successful, intricate attempts to turn the food we see on screen into reality. Yes, his name isn’t actually Babish – the channel name was based on the West Wing character Oliver Babish. Featuring Garfield’s lasagna, the Krabby Patty from Spongebob, and the infamous chocolate cake from Matilda, this channel literally makes every dish you can imagine. If you’re as lazy as I am, you may not get around to trying these recipes, but you can certainly feast on them with your eyes!

When I’m not eating, cooking, or baking, chances are I’m watching someone on the Internet do the same

For when you want to spend a week living vicariously through someone else’s

• If one ‘What I eat in a day’ video isn’t enough for you, you can count on Grackle for more. Whilst many daily food vlogs on YouTube are far from relatable (not many people I know eat açai bowls and drink pressed juices daily), Grackle’s channel is refreshing because she creates realistic, unique content, using affordable ingredients and snacks available to most of her British viewers. She eagerly takes on board 24-hour food experiments (British fast food, potato recipes) and tries different diets for five days (1960s, vegan for a week). Her channel also features her family members (I made a 5* Breakfast buffet for my family) who are equally beloved by her viewers.
  • Like Grackle, Gabie Kook uploads a wealth of lifestyle vlogs and food diaries; some of them are in Korean or French, but all have English subtitles. Her husband Josh regularly appears in her videos – he is also part of the YouTube Channel JOLLY, exploring Korean and British cultural differences. You won’t regret watching their mouth-watering recipes for maple-garlic chicken wings and Korean pork belly stew. Gabie’s dessert recipes are visually pleasing and calming (especially her ricotta cotton cheesecake). My favourite videos are her lockdown cooking series; she cooks exclusively one cuisine for a week (Italian, French, Vietnamese) – no two weeks are the same!

Image: geralt via Pixabay