By Elle Woods-Marshall and Immy Higgins
As well as donating to different organisations, it is important to research and find Black-owned businesses to support locally and online. As a result, we have collated a number of Black-owned restaurants and food businesses around the UK to check out and support. Underneath we have listed their social medias and how to order, the ordering details may change depending on how COVID-19 changes however these are correct as of now. If you have any other places you know of locally (of course this list is not exhaustive and only shows some examples), please pop them in the comments.
Knights Kitchen- Edinburgh
This is a family-run business, sharing food from across the continent (specifically Kenya), to Edinburgh. Usually they do African street food and events but for now orders can be made online. The food is largely plant based (not completely).
- Instagram: @knights_kitchen
- Orders: https://www.neighbourfood.co.uk/producers/knights-kitchen/5384
The Good Store- Edinburgh
This is an independent organic store which sells sustainable groceries packaged without plastic. As well as essentials such as oats, beans, nuts, fruit and veg they also make cakes such as salted caramel brownies, banana bread AND source sustainable and environmentally friendly toiletries.
- Instagram: @thegoodstore.scot
- Online click and collect service (Open Tue-Sat 10-4pm, Sun-Mon Closed) https://www.thegoodstore.scot/delivery-click-collect-service
Rhythm Kitchen- London
This restaurant chain offers a range of delicious Caribbean food, including their infamous Rhythm’s Jerk Chicken and Pork which is marinated in Jerk seasoning for 24 hours before being cooked on a grill.
- Outside of COVID they have websites for both Stratford and Walthamstow- https://rhythmkitchen.co – but for now you can order on Ubereats or deliveroo
- Instagram: @rhythmkitchenuk
Marli‘s Kitchen- London + more
Offering Vegan Fried Chick’un, Vegan Fried Chick’un Burger Meal Kits, Crispy Fried Oyster Mushrooms, and Crispy Fried Seitan Chicken, this street-food business has moved to home deliveries. You can dm on the website for orders across the country.
- Instagram: @marliskitchen
- https://goodeats.io/marliskitchen (if you live within the M25 you can make orders online – if beyond you need to message)
Earth’s Kitchen – Birmingham
From fruity smoothies and vegan pancakes, to Vegan Southern Jackfruit burgers and Cayenne lentil and vegetable cheesy lasagne with seasoned fries, this restaurant offers delicious vegan treats and meals. Call 0121 572 6163 to make your order and then collect.
- Instagram: @earthskitchen_
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/earthskitchen3/
Kate’s Cafe – London
Offers a range of West African dishes, blending British and Ghanian cuisine. Normally the café is open Monday to Sunday 8.45am to 10pm but the hours are currently revised to 9:30 am to 8:30pm. Ring 02085866793 to place an order for pick-up.
- Instagram: @katescafelondon
- Website: http://www.katescafelondon.co.uk/
Cakez By Traybakez – Birmingham
Message on this Instagram page (@traybakez) to order freshly baked cakes including Snickers blondies, red velvet cake, and Biscoff Lotus biscuit traybake. Open for order from Thursday to Sunday. Vegan options are available.
Oracles Juice Bar – London
Order 100% natural juices, vegan sandwiches, salads, and delicious cooked meals (including stews and fruity cheesecakes) from this Brixton-based café. Open everyday from 11am-9pm, ring 07584 240909 to place you orders during lockdown.
- Instagram: @oraclesjuicebar
Dark Sugars Chocolate – London + more
Located at 124-126 Brick Lane in London, this shop offers handmade chocolate truffles, ice-cream, vegan treats, and hot chocolate. Open everyday from 10am to 10pm. Ring 07429 472606 to place orders for delivery or collection. Currently offering DIY hot chocolate kits to be ordered online!
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/darksugarschocolates
- Website: https://www.darksugars.co.uk
- Instagram: @darksugars
Trap Kitchen- London
With a big celebrity fan base, and a range of amazing food including the ‘bucket’ (containing lobster tails or crab clusters, prawns, oreo topped waffles, buttered corn, and egg), it is no wonder Trap Kitchen’s instagram following has reached 125k. Currently offering contactless collection from Tuesday to Sunday, 1pm to 10pm. Call 07568 521 694 from 12:30pm to place order.
- Instagram: @trapkitchen
- Email: Support@trapkitchen.co.uk
- Twitter: trapkiitchen
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtT7VNAXU7YkfRVbANRVlxw
Trap Kitchen- Manchester
Call 07399180779 to place order for collection from Monday to Saturday (3pm to 10pm) and Sunday (3pm to 9pm).
- Instagram: @trapkitchen.mcr
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Brooklyn Brownie Co.
This business is run by a father-son duo from Northampton who create chocolatey snacks that can be shipped nation-wide. From the bronut hershey to the Eggcellent, these brownie-based goodies are creative urban artisan treats. Packed as boxes of 6 or 12, they are ideal for sharing with friends and family and for sending as a gift. Order online for contact-free delivery to your home.
Founded by brothers Shaun and Craig Mcanuff, this food platform originated when the pair began creating Caribbean food recipes online which went viral. Check out their recipes for traditional Jamaican dishes with a modern twist on their website. They offer a huge variety of recipes, including both baking and drinks. Their recipe book is out on August 22nd and you can pre-order now on their website.
- Website: https://originalflava.com
Renee’s Kitchen – London
Offering Plant-based street-food such as Island Curry containing pumpkin, sweet potato, Irish potato, carrots and chickpeas served with coconut basmati rice and Plantain. You can order via facebook message, or from Deliveroo within a 2.5-mile radius from Lewisham (SE13). Personal non-contact collection is also available from SE13 (Tuesday-Sunday from 1.30pm-8pm) for those who do not live in the catchment area.
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Reneeskitch3n
Etta’s Seafood Kitchen – London
You can now order food by telephone (020 3489 9394) from this restaurant in Brixton. From garlic peppered prawns for starter, to seafood curry for main, this menu offers a variety of delicious sea-food dishes.
- Website: https://www.ettaskitchen.com/menus
Accounts to follow on social media
- The Little London Vegan on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/thelittlelondonvegan) and on instagram (@thelittlelondonvegan) made a list of London Black-owned vegan restaurants which is a great point of information for further businesses to support
- @blxckowneduk on instagram
Image: Rhythm Kitchen Website