A Valentine’s Day in Durham

Supposedly of 70% of Durham students will meet their other half while at the University. As such, there can be a lot of pressure on us students with every date we have (if we’re lucky enough to get them in the first place). Never fear – I am here to be your love guru and guide you through a potential path to adoration this Valentine’s Day and to ensure your heart is warm through these cold winter months.

To start the day, how about a walk through the scenic Botanical Gardens; imagine exploring its many trails while getting lost in your love’s eyes. On a sunny day I can’t imagine there being many more beautiful sights than the gardens in full bloom. This one’s perfect for those who love being at one with nature.

I can’t imagine there being many more beautiful sights than the gardens in full bloom

Feeling a bit peckish after this spot of exploring? You’re in luck! There is a plethora of cafes and eateries in Durham, each with their own uniqueness and specialities that makes every experience different. Leonard’s holds a place in my heart for its decadent ‘Death by Chocolate’ hot chocolate, and Flat White has probably the most delicious brownie I’ve ever tasted (not to be missed by food lovers). Cafédral is a very safe bet for a brunch that goes down well, and while in you’re in that neck of the woods, why not visit the cathedral itself. Aside from marvelling at its beautiful interior, you’ll find the huge Lego version of the Cathedral itself, the largest Lego model ever constructed by the general public.

Durham is known for its scenic walks and beautiful settings, so a walk along the river will never go amiss. Off the bailey and across Prebends Bridge you go with beautiful scenery surrounding you. Or, if the weather permits it, why not get your hands a bit dirtier. Head on down to Brown’s Rowing Boats to rent a boat out for a few hours: just another way to explore Durham’s many beautiful nooks and crannies.

Durham is known for its scenic walks and beautiful settings

In the evening, a trip to one of Durham’s fine selection of restaurants always goes down a treat. The Tapas Factory is a lovely spot for some exquisite Spanish cuisine. With excellent service and very affordable dishes, this is a necessary for every student in love, and a step up from the usual late-night Dominos deliveries.

To round off the night, a trip to the Gala Theatre beckons. This Valentine’s Day, for film aficionados the cinema will be showing the Oscar-nominated comedy-drama Green Book, or for those more interested in the stage, HangFire Theatre will be presenting A Doll’s House, by Henrik Ibsen. For a lovely comfortable space while you watch your film, the Gala is nicer than most cinemas.

This is by no means a blueprint, but there is really something for all young lovers out there in Durham. The most important thing is being able to enjoy your loved one’s company, and if you get the opportunity to do that – well, you’ve won Valentine’s Day. Best of luck, lovers.