“A true Hatfield and Durham icon”: Hundreds of tributes paid to Badger

Hundreds of tributes have been paid to Badger, the Durham Cathedral cat, after he died last week following a short illness.

Badger was a much loved member of the Durham community, with more than 3,000 followers on his Twitter account.

In a statement shared on the official Durham Cathedral Facebook page, the Dean of Durham, Reverend Andrew Tremlett, announced: “Very sadly, after a short illness, he has found his place in the sun”. 

The statement continued, “Badger will be missed by all who had the pleasure of meeting him” and urged people with photos and memories of meeting Badger to post them in the comments of the Facebook post.

Over 500 people have shared memories and photographs of Badger on social media following his death, including the official University account.

“The days I bumped into Badger always ended up being the best ones”

One Trevelyan College student told Palatinate: “An undeniable piece of Durham’s soul has left us, and we must not forget the joy Badger brought to all sorts of people who passed him in the street”.

Durham Students’ Union also paid tribute to Badger, describing him as “Never shy of a photo opportunity, but often looking a little grumpy while doing it. 

“Many of us at the SU enjoyed seeing Badger on top of Kingsgate Bridge as we headed to and from work, and we’ll really miss this wonderful friend.”

Badger the cat came to Durham with Revd. Tremlett in 2015 after living in Battersea Cats and Dogs Home. He was acquainted with many famous faces over the years, including Prince Charles and the cast of The Avengers.

Hatfield College student, James Reid, described Badger as “A true Hatfield and Durham icon”. Whilst Grey College student, Isobel Warwick, said: “The days I bumped into Badger always ended up being the best ones”.

Sara Uckelman, Assistant Professor of Philosophy at Durham University, posted: “Meeting Badger was always a highlight of our walks to/from school or around the riverbanks. But the highlight of the highlights was one walk last summer when my daughter and I met him over by the heritage museum, and he insisted on climbing onto my lap.”

St John’s College said: “We loved seeing Badger around Durham, especially while the streets were quiet during lockdown. Enjoy your place in the sun Badger.”

Image: Durham University