“He has found his place in the sun”: Badger the cat dies after short illness

Badger, the Durham Cathedral cat, has died after a short illness, the Dean of Durham has announced.

In a statement shared on the official Durham Cathedral Facebook page, the Dean of Durham, Reverend Andrew Tremlett announced: “Very sadly, after a short illness, he has found his place in the sun”.

Badger the cat came to Durham with Revd. Tremlett in 2015 after living in Battersea Cats and Dogs Home in London.

In an emotional statement, the Dean of Durham reminisced about the “many memories” of Badger “enjoying a full social life, rubbing shoulders with interesting folk”, and thanked those who had enjoyed his company over the years, in particular “his friends in Durham Cathedral [and] Durham University Hatfield College JCR”.

“Badger will be missed by all who had the pleasure of meeting him”

Dean of Durham

The statement continued, “Badger will be missed by all who had the pleasure of meeting him” and urged people with photos and memories of meeting Badger to post them in the comments of the Facebook post.

Tributes have been paid on social media to Badger the cat on social media by members of the Durham community. St Chad’s College said: “We will miss seeing Badger wander through our College gardens along the Bailey. Sending our love and warmest wishes to our College Rector, The Dean of Durham.”

Durham Department of Classics and Ancient History said: “Farewell, Badger. You were a good friend to many of us and you’ll be greatly missed.”

Badger the cat was acquainted with famous faces over the years, including Prince Charles and the cast of The Avengers.