A Fortnight of Deadlines: Formative, summative, and Palatinate articles

By Ellie Scorah and Aaron Bell

This fortnight everyone has been getting stuck into deadlines, whether they be summatives, formatives, or the deadlines we have set for our current barrage of content. We have had reviews, Top Fives, and even some authors revolting.

At Indigo, the arts section of Palatinate, we appreciate the importance of culture, whether that be some good comforting stodge from our friends in the Food and Drink section or a trip to Paris with Travel, so when authors came out in protest of cuts to cultural services, we got Rebecca Holland to give her take.

We also started a lighter feature of Top Five Reads, beginning with two excellent lists sampling the best football and university novels. Who knew sport existed other than speed-reading? If you are interested in giving us a Top Five of your own, give our current examples a read, and then drop us your idea to the email address below. Perhaps you have five favourite winter reads for the nights when you wish you were back home in your parents’ properly insulated and actually heated house.

As always, we have more reviews to inform your reading choices. You might even find a Christmas gift idea for that person you always end up buying socks for… Our very own Aaron Bell reviews A God in Ruins by Kate Atkinson, winner of the Costa Book Award this January, while Charlotte Churcher reviews the classic Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe.

Moving into the post-colonial, our print article this week provides an alternative take on Christmas reading and will be out on Thursday 1st December, the day it is finally acceptable to finally let your Christmas jumper out the closet. Nikita Bangar lets us know why the classic A Christmas Carol should not be your choice this festive season.

So on Thursday, blast out some Wham, don your Santa hat, and settle down with the latest issue of Palatinate. Whilst you’re getting cosy, maybe even drop us an email at books@palatinate.org.uk with any questions, or follow us on Twitter and Instagram at @PalatinateBooks (It’s the season of sharing and if that doesn’t mean social media, who knows what it means).
Ellie and Aaron

Photograph: Ellie Scorah