Welcome from the Books Editors!

Freshers are arriving in overloaded cars and returners are trying desperately to remember how to cook, which means just one thing: the new year has started. And with the new year, your Indigo Books Editors, Ellie and Aaron, have decided to launch a new feature: an Editors’ Column. Every fortnight we’re going to invite you to join us on our adventures in the book world and we promise to be excellent company along the way!

October in Durham is a great time for book lovers, with the Durham Book Festival beginning this Friday. We hope you are as excited as we are (and we are very excited!). We have personally scoured the programme to provide a guide to who-is-who at the festival in this week’s print edition features.

One of the best parts of our job is getting press perks and sharing them with our lovely writers. This week we are sending several of our team armed with press tickets to the Book Festival, from which they will be providing online coverage of the events if you are unable to make it to them!

Over the summer we had fun writing an article on the award winning project book Dear Data, which asked whether it is really possible to get to know someone through data alone. Taking the concept of such a book and trying it out ourselves proved a really interesting experience and something we will hopefully do more of in the future. If you have any suggestions do get in touch!

We also received some great articles from contributors including a review of the fantastic Dark Matter by Blake Crouch, as well as an interview with Wyl Menmuir, a Durham graduate longlisted for the Man Booker prize this year, the winner of which will be announced on October 25th.

Books are everywhere on social media at the moment, from Bookstagram to BookTube, and Indigo Books is no different! We have been sharing mountains of pretty pictures on our Instagram and lots of bookish updates on our Twitter. Why not join in by tagging us in your own artfully arranged and filtered books, or sharing your own literary thoughts with us on our Twitter?

Another of our favourite parts of the job is editing our writers work. We can’t wait to see what you have for us this year and we look forward to publishing some great work!

If you have any questions or comments, please write to us at books@palatinate.org.uk

Ellie and Aaron

Photograph: