York College Varsity Announced

college varsityBy

Set to take place in York on 2nd March, College teams will have the opportunity to represent Durham University and take on their counterparts from York University in the first College Varsity competition between the two.

Discussions have been ongoing since October last year, and it has now been decided that students will compete in eight sports: men’s and women’s football, mixed basketball, mixed volleyball, mixed hockey, mixed badminton, men’s rugby and women’s netball.

Each University will select two teams, A and B, from each sport. The teams will then play one match against their counterparts ie. Durham A vs York A. The main reason behind the competition is to give students who may not get to play University level sport to represent their respective establishment through their successes at College level. To help aid this no University 1st team players will be allowed to compete

York Sport President, Cassandra Brown, said: “We wanted to give College Sport a level of competition similar to the platform University level athletes get at Roses [the York Varsity against Lancaster].

“College sport at York has grown dramatically in recent years and College Varsity is an ideal opportunity to develop our programme even further.

“Playing Durham will provide our athletes with healthy competition which will add to their experience of University sport and help them grow as individual athletes.”

The College sport system at York University is on a smaller scale than at Durham; there are only eight colleges compared to the sixteen at Durham taking part in fifteen different sports. However, it is hoped that the competition will be such a success that it will continue as an annual fixture with the 2015 event already scheduled to take place at Maiden Castle.

York University boasts impressive sports facilities with a 25m swimming pool, an outdoor cycling circuit, and floodlit tennis and netball courts to name just a few. With the selection for the Durham teams taking place of the next few weeks, it gives even more reward to performing well in the college league.