Christmas Catch-up

FencingBy

Whilst most of us were wallowing in a sedentary post-Christmas chocolate slumber; the more sporting members of the university were busy preparing for the season ahead or competing in various holiday competitions.

Being 450 points behind first-place Loughborough but only 250 points in front of third-place Bath, the Palatinates still have everything to play for this term. Preparation games are crucial as there is no time for teams to ease themselves gently into competition.

The men’s basketball 1sts haven’t had a dream start to 2014 having lost two out of their three matches thus far. The first game brought success against Surrey United as the Durham Wildcats brought home a 79-69 victory.

However, top of the table Worcester proved stiff opposition; beating Durham 90-66.  The Wildcats will have to turn this score-line around if they are to hold any ambitions in obtaining the Cup as they are likely to meet Worcester in the knock-out rounds.

Finally, the Wildcats suffered a 90-81 defeat to Plymouth despite leading at half-time.  It was some excellent three-point shooting in the third quarter from Plymouth that put the game beyond Durham’s reach.

It was mixed news for DUHC as well. The women’s 2nds beat York 2-0 to move to within one point of the league leaders whilst the men’s 2nds enjoyed a 2-1 win against Preston made even more outstanding by having lost 8-2 away to them earlier in the season.

Continuing their good form, the women’s 2nds drew 1-1 away to top of the table Liverpool.  Unfortunately, less can be said for the men who were punished by a second in the table Oxton side 9-1.

A few friendlies took place over the holiday period, including the men’s Rugby 1sts, who travelled to Cambridge University and dispatched the light blues 44-17.

Even more impressively the men’s football 1st Team managed to claim a 3-0 victory over a Newcastle United side. The side included under 18s, under 19s, some reserves and even their new £450,000 signing.  This certainly bodes well for the boys who were sitting in fourth in their league at the time of the match.

Photograph: Emma Werner