Working group recommend Queen’s Campus colleges and courses to begin relocation to Durham City beginning September 2017

The Queen’s Campus Working Group have recommended “academic activities” which currently take place on Queen’s Campus to be relocated to or close to Durham City beginning in September 2017.

The future of the location of the School of Medicine, Pharmacy and Health with be confirmed following a School review and science and meta-review.

The recommendation also includes that John Snow College and Stevenson College are to be relocated to Durham City as academic courses transfer.

The recommendation includes that the Junior Common Rooms (JCR) and Durham SU help to establish ‘new homes’ for the Queen’s Campus colleges in Durham City.

The report also points to the need to retain “both the identity and sense of community associated with membership of these colleges” during the transition.

This process is likely to take “several years” and during the transitional process, both colleges would become split campus.

The recommendation comes following a University Executive Committee (UEC) meeting which took place on Monday.

A consultation period for Queen’s Campus began last year with a working group set up, chaired by Anthony Long.

Students and staff were invited to participate in consultation meetings and surveys about the campus.

A town hall meeting for all staff and students at Queen’s Campus will be held today to “explain the rationale behind the initial recommendations”.

President of Medicine Society based at Queen’s Campus told Palatinate,”I fully welcome and support the proposal to move the two fantastic colleges at QC to Durham City. It will be interesting to see how the developments will play out in the coming years”

There is not yet a proposal as to exactly where the colleges would be moved to and will eventually be determined by the University Estates Plan.

This decision, however, is a recommendation pending an eventual decision by University Council.

This final decision on the future of Queen’s Campus is expected by July this year.

Photograph: Wikimedia Commons