Winter dressing in Durham: a guide

Every time that winter rolls around, I’m always uninspired when it comes to fashion. It is, unfortunately, a season where practicality comes before style; I inevitably end up alternating between the same two coats that cover up the rest of my outfit. In order to avoid monotony and repetition this winter, I have provided my top tips for adding variety to your current outfit rotation, and how to keep warm whilst doing so.

Layering. Arguably the easiest way to balance warmth and style, layering gives depth and originality to an outfit, and also means that you can walk to your 9am without panicking that you will overheating in Elvet Riverside.

Think about your fabrics. If layering isn’t your style but you still want to avoid the winter chill, consider the materials your garments are made of. Wool and cashmere are renowned for their insulating ability unlike materials like linen, so unfortunately your linen trousers will have to hibernate until spring comes.

Unfortunately your linen trousers will have to hibernate until spring comes.

Consider extremities. You lose a lot of heat from your head, neck and hands, so hats, gloves and scarves are all great ideas. Not only are they practical, but they can also work as accessories. A bright-coloured beanie, for example, not only stops you from freezing, but can also add a lot to your outfit.

Footwear. If you’ve tried walking over Kingsgate bridge recently, you’ll know that once the temperatures drop, Durham becomes one big slip and slide. Opt for boots with thick grooves, and you’ll be able to walk with the knowledge that you’re both safe and stylish.

Charity shopping. Although in my opinion a year round hobby, charity shopping is almost always better in winter. With more people decluttering their wardrobes in the new year, there is usually a very good selection. Not only is it a sustainable alternative to shopping fast fashion, but you are also more likely to pick up something unique.

If you’ve tried walking over Kingsgate bridge recently, you’ll know that once the temperatures drop, Durham becomes one big slip and slide.

Waterproofs. 2023 saw the peak of the ‘gorpcore’ trend, with items from brands such as Arc’teryx gaining popularity. I used to be of the impression that a waterproof jacket ruined an outfit, but there are plenty of high quality and affordable options that can be styled very easily. There truly is no worse feeling in the world than sitting in a lecture completely soaked, so do yourself a favour and keep dry!

Colour. Winter has a reputation for being drab and a tad uninspiring, which is why many of us gravitate towards neutrals and darks. As nice as this can be, it can get a bit repetitive, so get creative with colour! If you have a dark coat or jacket, perhaps see if you could pair it with a brightly coloured knit jumper. It’s been proven that wearing bold colours can improve our mood, so say goodbye to the winter blues with some reds, pinks and greens. Have fun with your wardrobe and experiment – Epiphany term doesn’t have to be all doom and gloom.

Image credit:

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is image-111.png

One thought on “Winter dressing in Durham: a guide

• You are IN THE NORTH now.

You will wear a t-shirt and shorts like the rest of us, and you will like it. A “big coat” will not be needed until the temperature goes under -10 for seven consecutive days.